School-Based Health Centers

School-Based Health Centers are different from the school nurse’s office and a community primary care doctor but works in collaboration with them. Each center is licensed by DPH as Outpatient Clinics and has both a Nurse Practitioner (APRN) and a Master’s prepared Mental Health Clinician.

Students must be registered for School-Based Health Center Services by a parent/legal guardian. The program is open to all students whose parent/guardian has signed a registration/permission form, regardless of income or coverage.

What We Offer

Medical Services

  • Physical exams for school, camp, and  sports
  • Immunizations
  • Sick / Acute Care visits
  • Prescriptions
  • Collaboration with or referral to a Primary Care Provider
  • Chronic condition education and management
    • asthma, weight management
  • Mental Health Screens
  • Labs
  • Referrals

Mental Health Services

  • Counseling Services
    • Individual, Group, and Family
  • Crisis Intervention
  • Mental health assessment, diagnosis, and treatment planning
  • Education on mental health topics
  • Referral to other mental health or community services




Our Locations

Child and Family Agency operates 14 School-Based Health Centers across New London, Groton, Mystic, and Waterford.

Bennie Dover Jackson Middle School

36 Waller Street, New London, CT 06320
P: 860-701-3772 ext. 7231

Catherine Kolnaski Magnet School

500 Poquonnock Road, Groton, CT 06340
P: 860-445-2191

Claude Chester Elementary School

1 Harry Day Drive, Groton, CT 06340
P: 860-445-2133

Fitch Senior High School

101 Groton Long Point Road, Groton, CT 06340
P: 860-449-7253

Groton Middle School

35 Groton Long Point Rd., Groton, CT 06340
P: 860-446-4200 x 34238
F: 860-445-0415

Jennings Elementary School

50 Mercer Street, New London, CT 06320
P: 860-447-6050 ext. 7665

Mary Morrisson Elementary School

154 Toll Gate Rd, Groton, CT 06340
P: 860-449-5655

Nathan Hale Arts Magnet School

37 Beech Drive, New London, CT 06320
P: tel:860-447-6060 ext. 7537

New London High School

490 Jefferson Avenue, New London, CT 06320
P: 860-437-6400 ext. 7019

Regional Multicultural Magnet School

1 Bulkeley Place, New London, CT 06320
P: 860-437-7775 ext. 7333

Stonington Middle School

204 Mistuxet Ave, Mystic, CT 06355
P: 860-536-9613 ext. 4112

P: 860-563-9613 ext. 4512

The Friendship School

24 Rope Ferry Road, Waterford, CT 06385
P: 860-447-4049

Winthrop Elementary School

74 Grove Street, New London, CT 06320
P: 860-447-6070 ext. 7115

About Our Facilities

Each SBHC is a freestanding health facility, operating in a manner appropriate to the school and community where it is located. SBHCs are guided by local advisory boards, composed of local medical and mental health professionals, school officials, community leaders, parents, and students. Each SBHC follows a work plan approved by the State of Connecticut Department of Public Health.

The SBHCs are supported by a grant from the Department of Public Health, the United Way of SE CT, an occasional small community grant for a specific project, and some third-party reimbursement. The child/adolescent’s insurance company is billed when appropriate for services provided (as mandated), but out-of-pocket fees are waived, except when a co-pay is mandated by the student’s private insurance plan. If the child/adolescent does not have health insurance and is eligible for state programs, the staff will assist the family in applying for it.

More Information

Every effort is made to communicate any treatment provided at the health center to the student’s primary care provider (pediatrician, community health center, etc.). If a student does not have a primary care provider, otherwise known as a medical home, efforts will be made to help the family establish one.

Students are referred to the health center by the school nurse or other members of the student support team at the school (guidance counselor, social worker, etc.). Parents may always call the SBHC and request an appointment for their child/adolescent. Since services cannot be provided unless there is a signed Registration Form on file, it is recommended that parents complete the form at the start of the school year.

Contact Us

SBHC Administration Office
75 Granite Street, New London, CT 06320
P: (860) 437-4555

For medical questions after regular working hours, families should call their child’s community provider.

If it is an emergency, please call 911 or go to the nearest Emergency Room.

For children receiving mental health services, there is an on-call clinician available for emergencies when the SBHC is closed. That phone number is provided on the School-Based Health Center’s answering machine.