Child & Family Agency of Southeastern Connecticut traces its history to 1809
In 1859, providing nourishing meals and education in a safe, warm place was Charlie Potter’s mission now known as the B.P. Learned Mission. In 1954, Dr. Louis Saxe opened the Child Guidance Clinic of SE CT, one of the first mental health agencies to counsel returning WWII veterans and their families. These incredible humanitarians recognized the needs of children, and garnered help from their friends and community to change the world for so many young lives. Our founders faced times of trouble with resolution. We follow their convictions with honor and determination.
In 1906, Mrs. Grint, the rector’s wife of St. James Episcopal Church, in New London, created the recipe of need, dedication, and vision. The New London Day Nursery was established for the many children in need and to this day, continues its mission of providing quality childcare to those who need it most.Learn More About the New London Day Nursery
In 1867, a building was erected on North Bank Street, then Bradley Street, where Mission work continued until 1925. In 1891, it became known as the Bradley Street Mission. This building was sold in 1926 to the New London Day Nursery.Learn More About the B.P. Learned Mission
In 1916, Billings P. Learned died and, under the condition that the name of the Mission be changed to ‘Billings P. Learned Mission’, he bequeathed his estate for that purpose. In 1925, the building at the corner of Main and Federal Streets was purchased, making it a Community Service House as well as a religious center. In the 1960’s it moved to its present location at 40 Shaw Street as part of the New London Redevelopment Project.
In November of 2003, The Mission merged with Child & Family Agency of Southeastern CT, Inc. The Mission has been licensed through the Department of Public Health as a childcare center. While continuing to serve the community the Mission has made much advancement, including recent building renovations and the addition of the Laurence P. “Jim” Smith Youth Center, which houses a gymnasium, theater and kitchen.
In 1859, providing nourishing meals and education in a safe, warm place was Charlie Potter’s mission which is now known as the B.P. Learned Mission.
In 1906, Mrs. Grint began forming her own legacy by creating child care centers and nurseries where children could be cared for and nurtured.
In 1954, Dr. Louis Saxe opened the Child Guidance Clinic of SE CT, one of the first mental health agencies to counsel returning WWII veterans and their families.
Our founders faced times of trouble with resolution. We follow their convictions with honor and determination.
A Social History of Caring tells the history of four New England children’s agencies, established in 1809, 1859, 1906, and 1954 which became Child & Family Agency of SECT. With this book, Gullotta provides readers with a window on the social forces underlying the creation of orphanages, settlement houses, childcare centers, and children’s mental health services in the United States.