Since 1972, Child and Family Agency of Southeastern CT has been at the forefront of social service development in southeastern CT.

We have worked to enrich the lives of local families and provide accessible, high-quality programming. We are dedicated to ensuring that all in our community – especially those who need us most – have greater access to quality programs and services that will enhance their lives, shape their futures, and give them a tangible measure of hope.

We accomplish this through our mission:

To nurture children and families to develop their strengths through service, partnership, and advocacy.


A Programmatic History of Child and Family Agency of Southeastern CT, Inc.

1944
October 2

Eastern District Committee Formed

In 1944 a group of 12 women organized the Eastern District Committee of Child and Family Services of Connecticut. The Eastern District Committee (soon to be Child and Family Agency of Southeastern CT, Inc.) supported the southeastern region of Connecticut for 27 years.
1971
September 15

A New Chapter

When Child and Family Services of Connecticut decided to focus on Hartford County and shift away from its state-wide presence, the Eastern District Committee decided to continue serving the local community as their own, independent entity.
1972
November 10

Incorporation Date

Child and Family Agency became incorporated in the State of Connecticut with the purpose to assist individuals and families, both adults and children, who face adversity. The Agency’s official name became Child and Family Agency of Southeastern Connecticut, Inc. 
1973
June 30

Endowment Established

CFA established its endowment with $184,899.00.
1986
February 19

CFA Established the First School-Based Health Center in New London

In February of 1986, CFA opened its first School-Based Health Center at Bennie Dover Jackson Middle School in New London, CT. In addition to being CFA’s first School-Based Health Center, the SBHC at Bennie Dover Jackson was the first center of its kind in the city.
April 1

Essex Child Guidance Clinic Established

Essex Child Guidance Clinic Established
In the spring of 1986, CFA was designated as a Child Guidance Clinic for southern Middlesex County. CFA moved into the office located at 190 Westbrook Road (pictured above) in 1987.
1990
July 1

Community-Based Services Established

CFA began providing high-risk southeastern CT families, children, and youth with in-home behavioral health support and child welfare programs.
December 22

Polar Express Established

With the help of CFA’s Auxiliary members, local businesses, and community members CFA manages a yearly Polar Express program providing holiday gifts to client families.
1991
June 4

New London Day Nursery Merged with CFA

New London Day Nursery Merged with CFA
In 1991 the New London Day Nursery merged with CFA. The same year, CFA purchased the Smith Memorial Home (pictured above) for use as the Smith-Bent Family Center and a new, larger home for the Nursery. Established in 1906, the New London Day Nursery has provided child care and early education services to the New London community for generations.
1992
June 30

Adoption Program Closes

In 1992 Child and Family Agency made the decision to close its adoption program.